Tuesday, November 29, 2011

All the voices in my head

This post is going to be a little short tonight because I am hoping to get another chapter finished before I have to call it a night. This post is going to be about the characters that live inside our heads.

Every good writer knows what it’s like to have many personalities speaking to you at all times. Writing a book in a way can be like having schizophrenia or multiple personality disorder. You have imaginary people talking to you and chances are you are talking back to them. It sounds crazy, right?

I remember reading an author’s interview and she was talking about how the characters need to speak to you. They tell their own stories. I never fully understood what she was talking about until I had it happen to me. One night I was lying in bed and the hero in my story started talking to me. Most people would think this is a sign you are going crazy, but I was excited because I felt like I had overcome a stumbling block in my writing. My characters are taking on a life of their own. Now when I write a sentence I have someone in the back of my mind asking me, “are you sure I would say that?”  Has anyone else had this same epiphany?

No comments:

Post a Comment