Monday, December 5, 2011

Stuck in the middle

Today’s blog post is going to be about motivation/inspiration, which happens to be something I am struggling with at the moment. I had today off work and I know that I should be writing all day, but instead I find myself reading a book that I have read a handful of times because my motivation has momentarily disappeared.

I was able to write a little bit, but not as much as I should have. I even now as I should be working on my next chapter I find myself writing this blog post about how unmotivated I am. At midnight Clockwork Prince comes out and I know I will be reading it all day tomorrow, so I should be working on my novel right now.

I hear everyone hits a point in their writing where the motivation/inspiration disappears. I think I have hit that road block. I am pushing forward because that is the only thing I can do to get out of this hole I feel like I am in, but it’s not easy.

I love to write and I am more than halfway through my novel, which is huge for me. When I first started writing I would write only when I was feeling inspired, which is not the correct way to do things I have learned. It is probably the reason why it has taken me so long to reach this point in my writing. Now that I have been writing every day, even if it’s just a little bit, I feel like my story makes sense. As I write new ideas come to me. When I am not writing I am constantly thinking about how to add to the plot or keep the reader in suspense. Even though I am in this slump I feel guilty when I am not writing, however I tell myself reading and writing go hand in hand, so it’s okay to take a break as long as I am doing something productive for my writing. Has anyone else had this problem staying motivated? What keeps you persevering?

No comments:

Post a Comment