Thursday, March 29, 2012

Hunger Games mania

I was finally well enough to get out of my cave to go see the Hunger Games. For those of you who have been following my blog you know how I have been looking forward to seeing this movie for months. While there were some important ideas left out of the movie, I must say as far as movie-book adaptations go this one was pretty good.

I have heard a lot of rumors about people being upset that Cinna and Rue were black. I have one thing to say on this subject GET OVER YOURSELVES! Who cares that the characters are not exactly how you pictured them to be. I think Lenny Kravitz and Amandla Stenberg did an excellent job. Color should not matter. Race shouldn’t matter. All that should matter is if the actors do a great job portraying the characters, which they did. Cinna is my favorite character in the book and I love him in the movie too! That’s all I care about.

Okay now on to the other characters and the movie overall. Katniss Everdeen is a teenage girl who is forced to live in a world where she must be the strong caretaker for her family. When her sister Prim is chosen to fight in the hunger games, she volunteers to take her place. The book is in first person POV, which I feel is very hard for movies to show how the characters are feeling and thinking. You are left to guess through their expressions and actions. A lot of things are explained through dialogue by other characters. I feel Jennifer Lawrence had huge shoes to fill to portray Katniss and I think she did a great job.

I liked how the movie showed the people dying, but wasn’t too bloody. It was tastefully done in my opinion because let’s face it a movie about kids fighting to the death could have been very gory. This movie might just join my favorite book/movie adaptation list along with Harry Potter.
What did you think of the movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment