Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Learning by reading

I have been in my hometown for a little over a week now and I know I should be reading and editing my book, but I have been absorbed in rereading an old favorite book of mine, The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop.

I must mention that Anne Bishop was one of the first adult novels I ever read. I love how she can transport her readers into a world surrounded by empowering women, even the evil ones. Her detail is rich, which is the reason I wanted to reread it in the first place. I thought reading a book by a favorite author would help me with my descriptions. Like Anne I am trying to create a world that doesn’t exist, so I wanted to get an idea on how to pull a reader into an imaginary world.

Things I have come to find:
The characters have to be lovable, which is true for any book. If you can’t relate to or find any character that you care about then you will be less likely to finish the book.

The dialogue would be another important aspect to the book. A story is told a lot of times through dialogue. That’s where the humor and relationships come along. Dialogue is also the chance to let your character’s personality shine. Also dialogue moves the plot in the story.

Description really helps the reader envision the world being created. Whether its explaining the rules of that world or describing the color of a tree, description can and will help your story feel more real.

I am at the end of the third book now, so hopefully I will be able to get back to my editing soon. However, I did go on a book buying binge a few days ago so… maybe some more research is needed to strengthen my fictional world. Any body have any advice on how to make an imaginary world seem real?

No comments:

Post a Comment